Beer!

Beer!

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Introduction to Craft Beer

This article first appeared in The Docket, The Official Case Western Reserve University School of Law Newpaper

Beer - Not Just For Frat Boys

When people ask me about my interests and I say “beer”, I usually get one of two responses: either (1) they think I’m kidding and laugh or (2) they think I’m an alcoholic (and laugh). Happily, I am neither. I simply love beer. I love looking at it, smelling it, appreciating its fine nuances, and, of course, tasting it. Sadly, when most people think of beer they envision that yellow, watery liquid found in solo cups at college frat parties. While I will concede that these mass-produced American lagers serve well as ice cold refreshment and social lubricant, they most certainly are not the kind of brew I speak of. Rather, my love affair lies with the American craft beer industry.

What exactly is craft beer? According to the Brewer’s Association, a craft brewer is defined as a brewery that produces less than 2 million barrels (1 barrel = 31 gallons) of beer annually. Compare this to Budweiser’s annual production of over 90 million barrels. In addition, craft breweries are owned and operated by dedicated craft brewers (rather than business men looking to turn a quick buck) and have a vested interest in maintaining quality – even at the expense of market share. Craft brewers pride themselves on innovation and adding their own unique twists to historical styles.

This is all well and good, but why does it matter? In general, craft beer is of higher quality and much more flavorful than its macro-brewery brethren (ala Budweiser, Coors, etc.). As the founders of the widely respected craft beer website, beeradvocate.com, note, “[Large breweries] focus… less on flavor and more on mass-production and consumption, cutting flavor and sometimes costs with adjunct cereal grains, like rice and corn.” Craft breweries, on the other hand, try to use only the highest quality malt, barley, wheat and hops in their quaffable concoctions. For added dimensions, craft brewers will sometimes add ingredients that may surprise you. Pumpkin beer is a good example. Others include blueberry, coffee and even chocolate.

In the weeks to come I hope to pass on some of my passion for good beer to you. In my next article I will introduce you to the basics of appreciating a finely crafted beer and share my tasting notes on a local brew. In the meantime, we have an outstanding craft brewery right here in Cleveland: Great Lakes Brewing Company. Why not pick up a six pack the next time you are out and get a head start on the road to craft beer? Great Lakes’ Dortmunder Gold is a solid brew to start with if you’re not already accustomed to drinking craft. 

Respect beer!

Fun beer fact: Plato was once quoted as saying, “He was a wise man who invented beer.”


No comments:

Post a Comment